A few days ago my family and I ate at Din Tai Fung. It’s a new restaurant located at SM Mega Fashion Hall. It’s in the ground floor near the entrance beside Tim Ho Wan and H&M. From what I’ve gathered, it originated from Taiwan and they specialize in xiao long bao.
We waited for about 30 minutes to be seated which was to be expected since the restaurant is new and there’s a lot of talk about it. Just take note that when your number is called your group has to be complete for them to be able to seat you. It’s their policy and they’re strict on enforcing it.
Sadly they don’t have the Truffle and Pork Xiao Long Bao that night. I was looking forward to taste it. But it’s okay since there were a lot of other dishes that I wanted to try as well. Here are our favorites from what we’ve ordered!
Update: I recently went back and tried some new things. First and foremost their Truffle Xiao Long Bao and it was amazing. It was a bit pricey but absolutely worth it. ❤ I also got to try their iced rose tea and again AMAZING! I was a bit hesitant cause I wasn’t fond of the rose flavor but their iced tea is really good. It’s sweet with a hint of the rose flavor. 🙂
- Chocolate Xiao Long Bao (Php 115) This is my favorite dish of the night despite it being a dessert. I love chocolate and I love how it was presented and wrapped in that dumpling wrapper. I loved how the chocolate had the right amount of sweetness and how the xiao long bao a proportionate amount of filling to the wrapper. It was so good we ordered another basket.
- Crab Roe and Pork Xiao Long Bao (Php 285) I couldn’t really describe this dish with any other word besides light. The taste is distinctly lighter compared to the pork xiao long bao. We wished we ordered more of this instead of the pork.
- Golden Lava Salted Egg Yolk Bun ((Php 85) Another dessert dish. The salted egg yolk bun was light and you could really taste the texture of the salted egg yolk.
- Salted Egg Yolk Prawns (Php 375) I love egg yolk. I enjoyed eating the prawns with the braised beef noodle soup.
- Sweet and Sour Chicken (Php 245) I unexpectedly liked this dish. I liked how they were in the form of chicken strip and it tasted good. It had a light flavor which was a balance of sweet and sour.
We also ordered the following:
- Pork Xiao Long Bao (more like accidentally ordered) (Php 160)
- Braised Beef Noodle Soup (Php 265)
- Black Pepper Beef (Php 375)
- Crispy Chicken Wings in Shrimp Paste (Php 185)